And Here We Are AGAIN :(

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Unscheduled Training Interruption

Ya, know. You start getting strong and don't even realize it until you've pushed your limits. Saturday, I crashed a few times on my rollerblades and came away with a little road rash on my left calf. Every time I fell, I just couldn't stop laughing. I was surprised how much it didn't hurt even though I once landed fairly hard.

Thankfully, I had a massage scheduled with Jeremy later that day knowing I was going to push it hard that week. Jeremy has been working with me since I started training and I feel so fortunate our paths have crossed. He is working on getting his Physical Therapy degree and is not only a great guy but so knowledgable and fantastic at what he does. I've been getting massages every other week, but had started adding in another week once my workouts were intensifying. And these are not the relaxing, take-it-easy, so-nice-you-want-to-fall asleep kind. If you ever have had a deep tissue massage, then you know what I mean. And he can pinpoint those areas that have been really worked. I know because most of the time I'm trying not to hold my breath and ignoring the pain!! Some areas are worse than others depending on the week, but my left shoulder and neck really hold a lot of tension.

Scott, Jackson and I later that day took a hike up to the Y Mountain in Provo. I've climbed Mt. Timpanogos many a time but that was my first trip to the Y. I was a bit surprised how steep that hike became but I guess if you climb 1000 feet in elevation in 1 mile, that would make sense. Jackson did fairly well but my rock star hubby ended up hiking up about half the trail with Jackson on his shoulders. And he would even stop and let Jackson sit in his shadow to rest in the shade a bit. This man rocks my world!!

Tuesday, Scott and I planned on biking the Provo River trail from our house starting at Utah Lake and heading down to the mouth of Provo canyon and back. Scott was pulling Jackson in the bike trailer and we were making good time even stopping for Jackson to play at a few playgrounds on the way. Heading back, we had to pull off the trail where they had been doing some construction and as I was pulling back onto the trail, my front tire hit the lip between the road and the ramp going up and I slid across the pavement. Yes, I had my helmet on, but not my bike gloves and it was a hot day so my shorts and t-shirt provided no protection.

I thought the road rash from my rollerblading falls looked cool, this was 10 times worse and hurt!! I had black pavement all over my right leg and arm but I also left a lot of skin on the trail. There were huge gashes on my palms and my right knee. But I think the worst part set in quickly, my knee and leg stiffened up right away. I know my head hit the pavement and my neck was throbbing. Scott had disconnected my jammed front brake and we started back up the hill. We only got a few blocks before I couldn't ride anymore. I was shaking and bleeding. I'll leave out the rest of the gory details but I did finally get home thanks to a stranger taking Scott home to get our car. While I waited, I walked around hoping it would help my leg loosen up but mostly because I was just ticked! All I could think about was losing the momentum in my training and gaining back some of my weight.

Long story even longer, I had to make the phone call to Steve on Wednesday morning (when I woke feeling like I had been ran over by a truck!) to tell him we couldn't train that day. I'm not sure if he was upset but I was told I was banned from anything with wheels. And we will start back on Monday.

So grateful again for Jeremy, he was my lifesaver and we bumped up my weekend massage appointment to Thursday. Ibuprofen is good for a few hours but I was not sleeping well as any way I turned just shot more pain through me! I was very lightheaded and a bit nauseous after he worked out all those kinks but I finally was able to go home and sleep!

I haven't gone this long without working out for months. Monday will be interesting....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seeing any progress? Let me know!